Valentine's Day! Yay!
Valentine's Day can be a mixed bag. Supposedly a day to celebrate love, it presents us with a whirlwind of messages that can feel alternately uplifting, anxiety-inducing, or depressing. It can set big expectations about what is necessary to be a "good" lover, or to be lovable at all. If we don't take a moment to step back and survey the field, our subconscious can get swept up in the fray - the fray of other people's ideas and desires and business goals - and then we find ourselves bruised and let down, wondering how a day about love left us feeling...unloved.
The key to making Valentine's Day great, every year? Make it your own.
What do YOU want this day to be about?
- What appeals to your mind about Valentine's Day?
- What appeals to your body: your sense of taste, sight, smell, touch, hearing?
- How does the theory of Valentine's land with you?
- The reality?
- What do you love about your life right now?
- Who do you love?
- What relationships in your life feed you and support you?
- What is amazing about you? What do you want to celebrate about you?
- What turns you on?
- What are you passionate about?
- How can you expand your love, that precious love that can only be expressed by you?
- If you were to invent a holiday to celebrate love, what would it look like?
If this holiday has let you down in the past, you may be tempted to respond to Valentine's Day by putting on armor, battening down the hatches, or running in the opposite direction. If so, be gentle with yourself. Inquire: darling, how does it feel to use my energy in avoidance rather than recuperation or celebration? How can I make this outside event nourish me rather than drain me? Where is the gem of wisdom in this pain?
Valentine's Day, like all of life, is an opportunity for us to play, to inquire, to invent, to love.
And your Love, big-hearted sensitive woman, is so very much needed in the world today.
May your Valentine's Day, however you celebrate it, support and nourish all of you!
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, GORGEOUS WOMAN